Saturday 16 January 2016

Izakaya Tomo For Beer and Tasty Food

My accountant originally told me about this place and we had an okay visit the first time we went, but it was awhile before we went again.  We have been back several times after that and the food / service has been consistently better than the first visit.  I really like this place for the atmosphere, food, beer, and will be back again.  The Japanese owner recognizes a Zaku (from Gundam)  when he sees one!

There is a nice selection of Japanese beers and I don't have a particular favourite, but it all goes good with their dishes, of which there is a nice selection of things you don't find in most Japanese restaurants here.  The restaurant has been around for more than a few years and is a great addition to the Japanese food scene in Edmonton.
Beers!  A couple of the rarer Japanese imports here.
Simmered pork belly.  Savoury goodness at its best.
Tuna Yukke with fresh quail egg and tuna tartar.  Break the egg, mix it up for creamy goodness.
Kinpura, Burdock and Carrot Salad.  Quite tasty with plenty of crunch to the two type of roots involved.
Tuna Tataki.
Takoyaki or octopus balls (double order of 12).  This is a real Japanese treat!  The takoyaki are crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside, then covered in sauce, bonito flakes and mayo.  Yum!  This is one of the dishes I order every time I visit.
Closeup of the Takoyaki
Udon Aglio Olio E Peperoncino udon with octopus and squid.  I like this simple, yet flavourful take on an Italian dish.
5 Gyoza cooked in a pan, flip it over to see your dumplings.  Cool presentation.
I'm always saying I want to drop in for some takoyaki and a beer and I've never done it, but one of these days...   This is a great place to go to sample some Japanese food both traditional and inspired.  They also have sushi, but we usually order mainly the cooked dishes with the odd roll to supplement our meal.  As Arnie says,  "I'll be back."
More takoyaki.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.