Friday 20 April 2018

Writing Mecha Science Fiction and Exocrisis Blue

I started out to write my mecha science fiction three or four years ago when I just decided I needed to start writing again.  I picked this particular science fiction setting because I felt that I could add to it in an original, more realistic manner, one that was inspired by Japanese anime, particularly Evangelion, Full Metal Panic! and Gundam.  I also have a Tokyo / Japanese pop culture blog too, so the focus was kind of natural.
So, how could I write a more realistic SF story with big combat robots inspired by anime roots?  I would have to avoid trying to do something only a Japanese writer would do well, do some creative thinking about the robots, integrate what I knew about modern military systems and tactics, and have a great story with great characters.

1) I didn't pretend to be a Japanese writer.
  • I grew up on reading western SF and literature, so that is what I know and will write.  I'm not Japanese, but I have a few insights into their mindset, after years of exposure to history books, translated novels, travelogues, anime, movies, and manga.  This is enough to write about the Japanese, but not as a Japanese.  I do like their creative work and pop culture in general so whatever I write is a tribute to this.
  • The stories so far are not set in Japan, but in Canada, America, or in Africa.
  • They have primary characters that are not Japanese, but there are Japanese characters.
  • My main alliance in the stories is about CAJUN, or the Canada Japan Union that arose after the Alien War.
  • Anime fans will recognize certain tropes, but it is all written from a western science fiction perspective (think Bolo or Starship Troopers) for a western audience.  This means no shouting out attacks as you enter battle like in a Shonen anime or a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie.
2) The HARM robots had to be as realistic as you could get with big robots (I'm actually with the school of thought that big robots = big targets = big missile sponges = unfeasible and expensive).  So I pulled a bit of technobabble to solve the problem.
  • Robots are built using reverse-engineered alien technology to leap us ahead. 
  • They are powered by chemical fusion, a technology that allows massive power generation and blows up real good if ruptured.  The power is needed to power weapon systems and defences.
  • Survivable, so I equipped them, and their alien counterparts with active molecular armour.  This was a lightweight armour plating that has incredible tensile strength and hardness, when it was powered up.  This expensive composite also has incredible heat dissipation protperties against lasers.
  • Large, as in 2 or 3 stories high, to carry the chemical fusion plants and be giant robotish, but not too big as to be a big target.  Basically they mass like a modern main battle tank.
  • Nimble, run quickly, to dodge incoming fire, react quickly, and allow the pilots to use their skills. 
  • Deadly, by firing hypersonic projectiles from coilguns (similar to railguns).
  • Advanced AI and neural syncing control technology to move a robots like a human.  The AI also acts like a weapons operator and copilot.
  • I also added point defences, and complimentary weapons systems like missiles to the robots to make them more lethal.
 3) The robots fit into a near future miltary structure as the elite front line units that are the pointy tip of the spear.
  • They are expensive and regular military units such as tanks, powered infantry, and artillery still comprise the bulk of the army.  
  • A HARM mecha is the equivalent of a  tank platoon in firepower, but more deadly due to its mobility, agility, and firepower.
Finally, I guess I'd say that I started with a short story, HARM, to test out if I could write about combat mechs in action.  That story introduced one of my main characters, Joshua Scott, who appears in all the stories.  Dr. Janet Chan, the lead engineer on the HARM project, was also introduced in this story and she ends up playing a pivotal role I never anticipated when I was initially outlining the stories.  HARM succeeded and I then wrote another story, Raid on Kahamba, about a mission to retrieve an alien artifact.  Finally the current novel, follows up from Raid, centered on a new generation of teen mecha pilots (there is a reason they're teens) and the alien artifact.

If I've perked your interest, head over to my publications page for links to Amazon ebooks here.  Thanks for dropping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.